Conversion to xero software is due to its most easiest functionality. If you are thinking to switch from your accounting software to xero, this post is for you. We will learn how to convert data from Quickbooks to Xero, Myob to XERO,.
Steps to follow while doing conversion to xero:
No matter software you are using before, you need to take following steps while doing conversion to xero.
- Import chart of accounts
- Import contacts
- Import outstanding invoices, bills and credit notes
- Import fixed assets
- Import inventory items
Feeling scared? Don’t worry. We learn it step by step.
How to import chart of accounts to xero:
The best practice is to download a xero chart of accounts file as template and details of various accounts in it as per format. In this way, there is less chance of mistake. The template is for two types of busienss: Gst registered and non gst registered.
There are 4 mandatory field in xero chart of accounts template:
- Tax code
However, you may also want to import other fields. Fill fields you want to import and prepare csv file. If your file is prepared correctly, you will receive successfully import message.
While preparing import file, Please consider following points:
- Import file should have maximum 700 rows. If you have more data, prepare additional import file.
- Code column should be formatted as text.
- Optional columns can be deleted or put as blank.
Procedure to impot:
To import xero file, Take following steps:
- Open your organisation
- Go to settings<general settings< organisation< chart of accounts < import
- When you have closing balances for accounts you wish you imported, enter conversion balances by selecting option regarding conversion balances.
- Import the file and make changes in file if there is any error after importation.
- For bank accounts, enter bank account details.
How to import invoices, bills and credit notes:
Xero has specific templates for invoices and bills. You can download these templates in csv file and copy your old data into same format and upload same csv file to xero. Please remember that do not change format or field of template for successful conversion.
After successful importation, you can see imported bills and invoices in purchase and sales menu as draft.You can review them and approve.
To import credit notes, you need to import them as invoice or bill with negative balance.
Xero give you facility to import bills / invoices / credit notes in multi currency when you have chosen multi currency xero plan.
How to import contacts to xero?
Similarly, it is very easy to import contacts into xero from other accounting software. Please note following points while importing contacts.
- You can import contacts via CSV or TXT file. You need to download template file and enter/copy contacts details into it. Name field is mandatory in contacts. However, email address, postal address and account number are recommended fields you should import.
- You can import 1000 contacts into xero with single import. If you want to import more than 1000 contacts, you need to prepare another CSV file and import.
- There is no need of segregation of contacts between supplier and customer. Xero will decide contact type as per transaction entry.
- Groups can’t be imported but can be created once imported.
- You can edit contacts details anytime once imported.
You can skip this step and enter contacts directly when you create an invoice, bill or other transaction for a customer or supplier for the first time.
How to import fixed assets into Xero?
Only person with adviser role can import fixed assets. Import procedure is easy when you follow this steps:
- Go to Accounts < Fixed assets
- select start date ( Beginning of FY or date when you intent do import fixed asset)
- Add assets types as per your business. You need to enter following in asset type- Asset type, depreciation method, depreciation rate, asset account and depreciation account.
- Once you entered asset types, again go to accounts< fixed assets < import.
- Download the fixed asset template, review the template and remove sample data.
- Asset name and number is mandatory fields.
- Fill data or paste data as per your requirement and update the file.
- Select date format used in template.
- Upload the updated file and click continue.
- If there is any error remove it and upload again updated file.
Though procedure is simple, it takes time. You can save your time by hiring our xero expert professionals for importation of data and maintenance of accounts. It is starting from $100/month for small business man.
How to import inventory items in xero?
Xero is amazing software and get popularity very fast due to its easiest fuctionality. If you are in retail business and want to import multiple inventory items, xero makes the process smooth.
There are two types of inventory in xero:
- Tracked inventory
- Untracked inventroy
Tracked inventory: Xero software keeps a count of your inventory items and updates the count for items purchased and sold. Xero also calculates the value of items on hand and updates your accounting records. However, xero uses average cost method for inventory track. If you wish to use other method, you can use another inventory tracking software like Dearsystems and integrate it with xero.
Untracked inventory: if you have service business, manufacturing business or business in which inventory count is not necessary, you can use untracked inventory option.
The process to import is similar for both tracked and untracked inventory.
Steps to import inventory items:
- Go to Xero Dashboard < Accounts < Inventory < Import < Items.
- Download Template file.
- Fill or paste the data in Template file.
- You can import up to 1000 inventory lines though one template file.
- Leave the first row as it is and do not change order of column.
- Itemcode is mandatory field in file.
- Upload updated template file.
- If there is any error, correct it in excel file and upload again.
I hope now you are more clear about process of conversion to xero. If you are not comfortable to do it yourself or you have lack of time, you can avail our xero expert’s service to set up your xero. Awail your trial from this link.
Get FREE Small Business Accounting Course in Your Inbox
Join our mailing list to start your Free Accounting Course.